Sunday, January 29, 2006

Much More Refreshed Now

The plane rides over were very uneventful, so I'm not even going to talk about them. A plane ride is a plane ride.

The area of Rome where the airport is wasn't as "Rome" as I thought it would be. I guess I was expecting crumbling marble forums everywhere, but the airport is in the suburbs...not too many ancient ruins out there.

The school provided a charter bus to drive to Castiglion Fiorentino. Much nicer bus than American charters. I tried to stay awake the whole trip, but my cold got the better of me. I ended up taking some benedryl to help my nose and sacrificed taking in the scenery. (I'll see it again some other time when I'll care more)

We stopped at a gas station for lunch and we all had our first expierences with trying to communicate in Italian. It was at the very least, interesting. I did learn to order "acqua non gassata." Why they drink carbonated water, I'll never figure that one out. But the sandwiches were fantastic!

Our room is sooo WARM! It's fantastic. It's been keeping at about 72 F. The water in the showers however, is a completely different story. They say they're getting that fixed as soon as possible. We'll see what that means in Italian time.

Dinner was great last night. I was too tired and sick to completely enjoy it. (The entire time I just wanted to lay my head down on the table.) We had pasta, and roasted chicken with potatoes, and salad with olive oil. Very yummy.

Most of the KSU kids went out last night to the Velvet Underground. I took a freezing shower and went to bed. Which I'm really glad I did now, because at our orientation meeting, everyone looked very hungover.

Lyns and I went to a cafe for breakfast and ordered "marmellata"s. At least that's what I think the Baresse said they were called. SOOO good. I think I'm going to go there everyday for breakfast now. And it's on top of the hill in town, so I'll get my excersize.

That's about it for now. I think I'm going to go explore the town a little more and try one of the pizzarias.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got some sleep! When you have time, post a picture of you in Italy. I had already been looking at pictures from Santa Chiara on line before you left, that it doesn't seem like you are really there yet.

Charcoal has been been really clingy and missing you too.

I love you,
mom

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got there ok, just don't forget to study.

Grandpa T

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, where are the pictures (with you in them)?

I bet you are glad that you gave me your web site?

e-mail me if you want...
tom.chappelear@hp.com

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you love it? You're thousands of miles away and you still can't get away from those "caring" relatives with all their well intentioned advice. So where ARE the pictures of you and have you studied yet?? :-) I'm getting hungry just reading your comments so now I go need to eat. This blog might not be healthy for me. Have a great time!!!

Cathy

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food. food. food. food.
I'm glad that you're living it up in Italy!

My mom asked today, "Think Emily will go to the Olympics?" Not even listening really, I replied, "Mom, she doesn't really competitively ice skate anymore. So...no." She looked at me, shook her head, and said, "I meant, the winter olympics are in Italy. Think she'll make the trip?" I have no idea what's really going on in the world outside of life at UNO (class, study, study, books, study, clubs, etc). So, think you'll go to the Olympics? : )


Talk to you later!
Jennko

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home