Monday, January 30, 2006

I Now Have a Phone!!

I went out and bought a cell phone today, so I once again feel normal. Of course, I'm rarely going to be using it. However, I can buy a cheap calling card online (Yolanda siad they're cheaper online) and use it on the cell phone and it would be much cheaper. That way I only pay for local calling on the phone. It's a pay-as-you-go phone. Also, if I get calls from the states, it doesn't take away from my minutes at ALL...it's just whatever the long distance is for the people at home. The number you call is 0039-340-59-52-043. This is including the Italy country code. You could tell that this is a small town because there were 3 old men and 2 teenage guys hanging out in the cell phone shop...just talking. Probably about all of the Americans invading their town, but we would never know.

I've figured out the best way to learn Italian. Go to a bar, order some drinks, and introduce yourself to the locals. The worst that can happen is that you make a fool out of yourself and everybody laughs. This is what we did last night. Sarah, Matt, Collin, and I were talking to a couple people. Francesco knew a fair amount of English, so he was kinda our interpreter. Daniella and Antonella(?) knew NO English whatsoever. Collin and Daniella were flirting the whole night, which was really amusing since they didn't know each other's languages. Collin kept pulling out his translation book and flipping the the "Ah, Amore" section, and there are some pretty outlandish pick-up lines in that book. Like, "I am rich and sexy" "I have no diseases" "Do you want a wild and crazy night?" Daniella gave Collin her phone number...but how would they ever talk on the phone to each other?

Yolanda showed up today. She leaves for Melbourne in two days from Rome. Her being here is so natural. It feels like she's studing abroad with us. (studying abroad abroad?) She said that Florence has been her favorite place by far. She helped explain the SimCard cell phone thing to us, since SimCards aren't used in America (but they are in Australia)

The hot water is still out of order which is a big source of frustration. The pumps went out. The mechanics were working on them today (for how long, I don't know) The water is ICE COLD! I braved myself for a shower this evening before dinner. It wasn't fun. I'm beging to believe that there is no such thing as hot water in Italy.

We're going to Florence twice this week. Wedndsday it's with the whole school and we take buses. Our studio professors want us to go on Friday, just with the k-staters and take the train so we can get comfortable with that. Saturday we're going to Arezzo (the largest nearest city) And Sunday we're going to another town for Carnivale. Sunday night is also the night of the Superbowl, and one of the two pubs in town is having a Superbowl Party. I still don't understand why Italians care about the Superbowl. I think its just an excuse to party.

Next post I'm sure to have plenty of pictures. And I'm even in some of them!
Don't Hesitate to call (mom). If you leave a voice message, I'm not sure if I can figure out how to get it, but I'll see the number. And we're seven hours ahead here too.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bought a cell phone!?!?! :-) I guess it would be hard for you to go cold turkey.

I will try calling you from home sometime this week, but it will be VERY short and sweet. (I don't think they would like me calling you from work.)

It sounds like you are having a great time, and I am glad that Yolanda is there to help you. Give her a big hug from me.

mom

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bought a cell phone!?!?! :-) I guess it would be hard for you to go cold turkey.

I will try calling you from home sometime this week, but it will be VERY short and sweet. (I don't think they would like me calling you from work.)

It sounds like you are having a great time, and I am glad that Yolanda is there to help you. Give her a big hug from me.

mom

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bought a cell phone!?!?! :-) I guess it would be hard for you to go cold turkey.

I will try calling you from home sometime this week, but it will be VERY short and sweet. (I don't think they would like me calling you from work.)

It sounds like you are having a great time, and I am glad that Yolanda is there to help you. Give her a big hug from me.

mom

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I need to learn to leave only 1 message...

mom

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MISSED YOUR CALL! But I at least you learned to leave a message. I will get a calling card in the next day or two.
mom

3:34 PM  
Blogger wyankey said...

Hey, I tried calling you last night...at 12:30, anyway. I have a number in Denmark, too. But it actually costs me $.3 per minute to talk to an italy cell phone. So, that's kinda pricey. If you can, get skype, if you can't, call 0045 36 93 46 31...that's my computer's telephone number. I love you blog by the way...extra cool... later

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey..you bought new phone...very nice....you can use long distance call cardin your phone

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home